Three people and a terrorist are dead after an attacker brought carnage to central London today, mowing down pedestrians on Westminster Bridge and hacking at police with knives in the grounds of the Houses of Parliament.
At least 20 people were hit when a 4×4 drove along the pavement on the crowded bridge, knocking down and seriously injuring pedestrians before crashing into a fence below Big Ben.
An intruder, described by witnesses as ‘middle-aged and Asian’, then managed to break into the grounds of the Parliament where he fatally stabbed a police officer with two knives.
The policeman died at the scene. The attacker, who was shot by armed officers, died after he was taken to a hospital.
It is currently believed one attacker was involved and he killed three people, including the policeman, and left at least 20 pedestrians and three other police officers seriously injured.
Prime Minister Theresa May was bundled into her car by a plain-clothes police officer and driven quickly from the scene as the attack unfolded. She will chair a meeting of the Government’s emergency Cobra Committee tonight.
Scotland Yard said the attack, which comes a year to the day after the terrorist atrocities in Brussels, is being treated ‘as a terrorist incident until we know otherwise’.
There are some pictures:
The attacker is put on the stretcher and wheeled into an ambulance inside the grounds of Parliament. He later died
This was the scene as the attacker was taken away to hospital following the attack this afternoon. He has killed three people
Politicians and emergency services rushed to try to save the policeman who was stabbed, but he died at the scene
Members of the public rushed to help a man run down after the vehicle mounted the pavement on Westminster Bridge
A woman lies severely injured at a postcard stall opposite Big Ben this afternoon following the horrific terror attack
It is currently known that:
- One woman was killed on Westminster Bridge after a number of pedestrians were mowed down by a car.
- It is believed a second person was killed in the incident on the bridge.
- Another woman ended up in the Thames and was treated for serious injuries after being pulled from the water.
- A group of French schoolchildren was among those targeted on the bridge.
- The attacker jumped out the car and fatally stabbed a police officer in the grounds of the Palace of Westminster.
- The knifeman was shot dead moments later by another officer.
- Police are treating the incident as a terrorist attack.
- Prime Minister Theresa May will be chairing a meeting of the Government’s emergency Cobra committee.